Monday, May 02, 2011

My Less Than Inspiring Interaction With Tmobile Customer Care Via Chat

I've been having intermittent 3G problems for the last few weeks and finally had time to web chat with Tmobile about it. This is an exchange around 5:30pm EST today.


Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to _Francisco M.

ME: I live in Bethesda, MD, USA, zip code 20814. My 3G connection lately often does not work since I upgraded my touch 3g slide to the latest radio firmware, 7.15.35.16 I was a few miles away from home all morning today using the 3G heavily for hours and it was fine. I believe there is a problem with tmobiles network local to 20814.

_Francisco M: Hi James , welcome to T-Mobile live Chat. I’m _Francisco and I will be happy to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

ME: Hi Francisco, thank you.

_Francisco M: One moment.
_Francisco M: Can I have the address to check for outages?

ME: yes, I am at ***

_Francisco M: Thank you.
_Francisco M: One moment.
_Francisco M: Is that ***?

ME: yes

_Francisco M: Okay.
_Francisco M: I see an outage 3 miles away that could be causing your issue.

ME: oh ok, would the effect of that outtage be intermittent connectivity? or no connectivity at all?

_Francisco M: It could be either.

ME: ok. is it an outage with a tower or some network equipment? I ask because I doubt my phone is connecting to a tower 3 miles away.

_Francisco M: The phone is connecting to it, we dont have a tower every mile.

ME: ok, is there an ETR for that issue?

_Francisco M: At the moment, we do not have any estimated time of resolution for this issue.

ME: hm, ok. Could I get a credit on my account then since I'm not getting the service I'm paying for?

_Francisco M: I would advise contacting customer care when the issue is resolved for that.

ME: How will I know when the issue is resolved? Will someone contact me since I've reported it?

_Francisco M: When your service starts working.

ME: I'm not satisfied with that response.

_Francisco M: What do you mean?

ME: It isn't customer friendly at all. Tmobile has no ETR for an outage that is affecting me and _ I _ am supposed to follow up them to credit my account when it's clear I'm affected? That is piss poor customer service.

_Francisco M: Unfortunately, that is what must be done.

ME: I understand you may not be in a position to do more, could you refer to me to someone who may be able to handle it for me?

_Francisco M: We need to wait until the issue is resolved. We don't have an estimated time because it is an unexpected outage.

ME: ok, could I have the issue id or ticket number associated with the outage?

_Francisco M: Let me see if they have one there.

_Francisco M: They don't have a ticket number since the engineers are working on this.

ME: That doesn't make sense to me. The engineers work isn't being tracked by a ticket? That means no work at all is being done.

_Francisco M: They update the status on our network.

ME: The status of what? I'm asking these questions because I need something I can tell the TMO CS to reference when I call in again to have my account credited.

_Francisco M: The status of the outage. They can see it by tracking your address.

ME: But they won't see it once it's resolved, correct? Therefore I need a ticket number or issue id (or whatever is tracking this work) to give them to reference.

_Francisco M: It will show as resolved.

ME: what will show as resolved? that is what i need, that ticket number or whatever identifier you are referencing.

_Francisco M: There is no ticket number, it just shows the outage and that they are working on it.

ME: so there's no identifying information for this outage? I cannot believe that.

_Francisco M: No, we do not have any tracking number, case I.D. or anything like that.

ME: is there a tower ID or location ID or anything that would actually identify this outage? It is completely nonsensical that there is no way to track an outage.

_Francisco M: They can track it with your address. Like I said, we do not have any tracking number, case I.D. or anything like that.

_Francisco M: Is there anything else we can assist you with today?

ME: I'm afraid not, you haven't been able to assist me at all I'm sad to say.

_Francisco M: Thank you for contacting T-Mobile Chat, have a great day!

No comments: