Monday, August 02, 2010

Veggie sloppy joe

I've been wanting sloppy joe for awhile but I don't cook meat in my home so it seemed undoable.  While I was in the grocery I noticed Gimme Lean 'ground beef' style TVP.  After a couple of weeks I decided to give it a try.

It turned out surprisingly good.  All the familiar flavor notes are there that I remember from childhood, black pepper, onion, green pepper, and mustard.  The Gimme Lean even has a slight meaty flavor and texture but you'd never mistake it for real meat.  I wonder if a little cumin or a complex flavor like worcester sauce might add another meaty flavor aspect?

These sloppy joe are practically fat free thanks to the Gimme Lean, the only fat being from the olive oil everything was cooked in.  In that regard they are superior to the original recipe.

Veggie Sloppy Joe

1 pound Gimme Lean 'ground beef' style TVP
1 yellow onion
1 green pepper
Salt
Black pepper (I like using quite a bit in this recipe)
Olive Oil
1 can Hunts tomato sauce

Slice the onion and quarter it. Slice the green pepper into strips.  Saute the onion, green pepper, salt, and black pepper in olive oil until the peppers begin to soften.  Add the Gimme Lean and break it up into reasonable sized pieces, saute until the Gimme Lean is hot.  Add the Hunts tomato sauce and stir until its evenly distributed, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I like to serve it on a soft hamburger bun I can easily cut with a fork (recreating childhood experience here), but a firmer bun is great too, and add plenty of spicy mustard.